Monday, November 21, 2011

That Pond

The next day, I went back to that pond, completely forgetting my binoculars. I'm good at that. And I took a peak at the ducks which have taken up residence. After my bit of research from the day before, I had no problem at all Identifying them as the Hooded Merganser.

Today, I walked by the pond again and stopped to take a peak at them. There are 4, two male and two female. There is one who looks bigger than the other, and he swam in the front of the other three who followed behind him closely. Perhaps he is the best at finding food? Perhaps he is just their leader and there is safety in numbers. I for one do not know.

I like their narrow beaks, and their cool mohawk head shapes. It seems this may be the winter of taking what I can get in regards to birding activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment