Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Eagle vs Hawk

    I was at work not so long ago driving around in one of the many cool machines which we have in our fleet in the shop. I was on the thirteenth hole on the golf course, near the sand bunker. I stopped to pee in the bushes and was getting back into the driver's position when my bird-sense went off and I looked up. Perhaps 45 feet up in the air, at most 60 feet away from me, there was a rather large Bald Eagle flying by.
      I grabbed out my binoculars, and leapt out of the cart. I zeroed in on it. It was flying away from me, but it was still close enough to still be huge in the lenses. Out of the right side of my vision a red-tailed hawk swooped in on the offensive. I was in disbelief, I never imagined I'd see such a sight in person but here it was. The two of them were in a dog fight and I had the only eyes on the action.
     It ended rather abruptly as they went behind some trees. My vehicle was not nearly fast enough for me to have jumped in and followed them but I wasn't upset. Bird watching seems to be made up of random instances great activity with huge lengths of bland birding. I must say though, that at my job there are so many birds around that I always have something to watch, and I am also very easily amused so even seeing an American robin running around with a worm in its beak gives me a smile and a chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment