Wednesday, November 21, 2012

An eagle parched.

     At work the other day I was walking through the mud, it was a cloudy day but it wasn't raining. I looked at my scratched up smart-phone and noticed I had missed a call from my girlfriend. I pressed the button to call her back, and put the phone to my ear. As I was looking up, a flash of movement caught my eye, a huge bird was in the sky above me. It was maybe fifty meters away from me, a Bald Eagle. I don't know if a species name is a proper noun, but I'm alright with having it capitalized.
     I don't know if you've seen a Bald Eagle at a close distance before or recently, but that is a big bird. I think of the American Crow as a pretty big bird when compared to birds like the House Finch, or the Barn Swallow; but the Bald Eagle is a really really big bird! It is huge!
      So there I was, standing talking to Amber, I quickly told her that I would call her back and hung up. This was too great of an experience for me to miss. It landed out in the middle of the driving range. It actually set its feet down on the ground! This is the very first time that I've ever witnessed a Bald Eagle land on the ground! Aside from that, it was also pretty close to me. I could see it pretty well even without binoculars, which I wished that I would have had. It did a little hop-ish run over to the water, which I found pretty fascinating because I've never seen an eagle run before.
     I've seen Red-Tailed Hawks run like that, but a Bald Eagle on the jog had until then eluded my sight. There was a man in a red wind-breaker jacket standing near the concrete path in the grass hitting golf balls out into the field. He stopped when the bird landed. Daniel, a tall guy in a blue sweater stopped his golf-ball-collecting-machine, climbed out of his machine and stood in the field and watched.
     The Bald Eagle is a relatively rare bird to me. I don't see them frequently or in great numbers. I have seen videos and heard talk of places where such birds congregate in numbers; but I've never been there. This experience was wonderful one. I was so happy after I saw that bird. Unfortunately my camera-phone didn't save the one pretty-bad photo that I did take, I'm pretty sure it wasn't user malfunction.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment